Port Richmond High School holds celebration of world cultures

On Thursday, May 18, seniors Latoya Castillo and Patricia Lambert hosted Port Richmond High School’s second annual World Culture Day Celebration in the Herbert Balish auditorium.  The celebration of world cultures began with students performing a K-Pop dance and ended with a banquet in the courtyard featuring food from cultures all around the world.

Students and staff from the Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico, El Salvador, Kenya, Pakistan, Nigeria, Columbia, Mexico, Sri Lanka, India, Yemen, Italy, Jamaica, Liberia, Senegal, Nigeria, Ghana, and other countries proudly modeled traditional clothing from their cultures in a fashion show. Teachers who stood alongside students in the fashion show were Señora Sanabria representing Puerto Rico, Señora Perdomo representing the Dominican Republic, Mrs. Nanes representing Sri Lanka, Ms. Satti representing India, Ms. Guallpa representing Columbia, and Ms. Palmeri representing Italy. 

Several students celebrated their culture through performances that wowed the audience of their peers, teachers, and staff members. Amina played a song from Kazakhstan on the dombra. Hector sang “Como La Flor” by Selena,  Krystinah sang “Is this Love” by Bob Marley, James sang “Last Last” by Burna Boy, Vanessa sang “Adios Amor” by Christian Nodal, and Ethan sang “Etha Ran Wiman” by Priya Suriyasena. The Mexican Dance Group and African Dance Group performed dances. Another group of dancers performed a dance to the song “Dokhtare Afghan.” After the performances everyone was invited out to the courtyard to enjoy savory and sweet foods from all the cultures represented at PRHS’s celebration.

Students, Oluwatomisin Dosumu, Jacquelyn Pavia, Lorena Hernandez and Sara Perera organized and coordinated World Cultures Day. Oluwatomisin also coordinated the events for World Cultures Day in its inaugural year. “I took an interest in world cultures day because I personally wanted to learn more about other cultures while showcasing mine,”  said senior Oluwatomisin Dosumu. 

“One of the best things about our WCD event is that it is entirely student organized with the support of teachers and other staff members. It is so amazing to see students’ ideas and plans come to fruition on the big day. Another great thing is the feeling of pride the students have as they share aspects of their culture with their classmates and teachers. And in turn the whole school community shares in the celebration with them!” said Assistant Principal of science and adviser of the World Cultures Club, Ms. Nirmala Nanes.